Sunday 18 April 2010

running through chemo ...

When I started out on my chemotherapy treatment for my Hodgkins lymphoma, I spoke to my cancer nurse about whether or not I would be able to keep running while I was going through the 3-4 months of treatment. I was pleased when she told me that she couldn't see why not, though warned that I would feel tired at times, and I should really listen to my body rather than trying to blindly stick to an inflexible running programme. 

Immediately after my first session of ABVD chemotherapy on March 31st, I actually felt great, so the next day, I was out on the road for a 3.6 mile run, feeling strong and wondering what all the fuss was about! And then, it hit me! By April 3rd, I was basically knackered! I felt as if someone had flicked a switch and turned the power off, or that my engine had run out of gas. Mornings were okay-ish, but by lunchtime, I was drained, and needed to sleep for an hour or two. And any thoughts of running were totally out the door - I remember watching a runner dodge past pedestrians on the street one day, and wondering how on earth anyone could do something THAT energetic!

The weariness lasted about a week, and gradually, I began to feel half-energetic again. So by April 11th, I felt able to try a gentle jog of a couple of miles. That went okay, so I tried 3.5 miles on the 13th, just before I was due my next chemo on the 14th. I thought that that would be the pattern ahead of me: limited energy, and grabbing a couple of miles here and there when I felt I could. Not exactly what I'd hoped for, but in the circumstances, the best I think I could have expected. However, because my white blood cell count (in particular my neutrophils, which are the main infection fighters in my blood) was still low from my first treatment, my 2nd chemo treatment was postponed for six days, and in the interim, my energy levels recovered even more, so I managed another 3.5 miles on the 16th. 

Then this morning, the 18th, it being my birthday, I thought I'd make a bit of an effort and have a longer run. I mean, it's only three weeks since I ran the Wilmslow Half Marathon (three days before my chemo started), so I knew I had to have some sort of residual fitness still (didn't I?). So off I set, at around 7.30 (I'm a very sad early riser: I'd already walked the dog before this, so had kind of warmed up a little too). I wanted to do at least a 10K/6 mile run, and so I took a lovely route that took in part of a local cycle way that runs out into the surrounding countryside. I was running into the rising sun, with blue skies overhead, and mist burning off the land ahead of me as I ran. The sun itself was a wonderful burnt orange as it climbed into the sky, probably thanks at least in part to the Icelandic volcanic ash in the atmosphere. It was all truly magical, and the sense of wonder was added to by a heron, which glided alongside me at one point, landing majestically by a small pond ahead, then stretching it's neck, opening it's wings and slowly taking flight again, sailing low across the fields into the mists. 

With this to distract me, running couldn't have come easier at that point, and I found myself stepping out along the track feeling very comfortable and strong. The run back home from the turn was not quite effortless, but it felt good, and I completed 6.6 miles in 59 minutes, averaging 8.59 minutes per mile (data courtesy of RunKeeper Pro on my iPhone *GRINS*), a speed slightly faster than my usual pace, so all in all, it was a run that I was extremely pleased with.

I now face my next chemo on April 20th, white blood count/neutrophils permitting, so if it goes ahead (fingers crossed), I guess I can look forward to a similar pattern of energy/weariness ahead. If the interim blood count is low again in a week's time, I guess the cycle may come to stretch to every three instead of every two weeks, and maybe my "running through chemo" will increase in that third week again. But, while I am enjoying being able to get out there once again and pound the pavements, in all honesty, I think I'd settle for less running for a while if I could just get through this chemotherapy treatment sooner rather than later. But hey, all that appears to be out of my control ... my body will do what it needs to get me through this, I'm sure, and the treatment will take as long as it needs to take. All that really matters is that, at the end of it all, I get the all clear, which is what is expected ... and when that happens, I'll probably celebrate with a glass of something ... after I've been for a run! :D

2 comments:

  1. Prayers are definitely with you. I relapsed back in October and things haven't been the same for me. I understand the importance of hoping that someone understands what you're going through so if you ever need to vent, I'm here too, going through the journey as well. Hopefully your levels rise so that you can endure the chemotherapy treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments and support. Sorry to hear you've relapsed but hopefully all hands are on deck to sort this set-back out once and for all. Keep in touch and I'll be sending you all positive vibes to carry you through.

    Happy to report my neutrophils climbed back enough to allow me to have my chemo yesterday. They are switching one of my other medications (not the ABVD) as they think that maybe it was effecting the bone marrow and slowing down white blood cell production. So here's hoping that'll do the trick and they'll be on course again for the next cycle in two weeks.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete