Monday 5 April 2010

mmm, a mixed response to my ABVD chemo ...

Last Thursday, the day after my 1st chemo treatment, I woke up feeling great! So good, in fact, that I headed off to the gym and went out from there for a 30-odd minute run. I felt fine through it, and even contemplated extending the route an extra mile or three, but good sense (not something I'm always noted for) took over, and I kept it short. 

Felt good throughout the rest of the day, and woke the next feeling similarly good. Tempted to run again, but once more, this strange common sense-thingy took hold of me, and I decided not to push things just yet. But I did find myself wondering, hopefully, if maybe I might get through this experience relatively unscathed. 

Still good on Saturday morning (C-day +3), and so headed off to meet friends, Mel and Stu, and go to the Chester Food and Drink Festival at the Chester Race Course. This is an annual event and something Donna and I really enjoy: lots of food stalls, samples, and cookery demonstrations, good fun all round. Of course, this year, I wasn't able to try any of the samples as I have to watch what I eat, but I could still enjoy seeing what was on offer and buying various things to have later at home, once we'd cooked them. One highlight is usually the hog roast lunch, but that was out of bounds for me too (not allowed any takeaway-type foods or food from deli counters for the duration of the treatment; possibility of picking up germs, which under normal circumstances, I could cope with, but with depleted white blood cells, my resistance to possible infection is lowered). Donna had some though (I wasn't going to deny her that, now come on!), but insisted that it wasn't very nice at all :-P! 

However, the day out (well, several hours anyway), and possibly the crowds, began to take their toll, and I was feeling quite shattered as we made our way home. Later that evening, I also noticed a niggling sore throat starting. Checked my temperature, and it was okay at 36.2C, but took a couple of precautionary hot Lemsip drinks through the rest of the day. This seemed to work, as I woke Easter Sunday morning with my throat feeling fine. It was a lovely morning, so I took the opportunity to mow the lawn - the first cut of the year, folks, I know, how could I? - but I felt I had the energy for it, and, following on from the advice of Nurse Dee, I was listening to my body and doing what I felt able to.

But since then, I have been noticeably more tired, and have concluded that I need to go a little bit more slowly about things. This morning, after a broken nights' sleep, I am knackered. I really felt quite queasy at about 3.00 am and thought perhaps the nausea that is threatened to come with this treatment sometimes was going to hit good and proper, but a quick couple of tablets to counteract this (Domperidone ROCK!) saved the day/night.

This morning, Easter Monday, I reckon I'm going to have a very slow day ... no nonsense, no "maybe just a little ...", I'm officially resting today. For once, as so many tweets and Facebook messages have suggested to me over the past couple of days, maybe I CAN be sensible ... :)

1 comment:

  1. I know the nurse said listen to your body...the only problem with that is that it doesn't tell you you're knackered 'till you've overdone it and its too late!! So 'pacing' might be more helpful, it might help you avoid the boom and bust cycle...and Simon will be laughing his arse of if he read this!!!
    x

    ReplyDelete