Tuesday 18 May 2010

chemo is taking it's toll ... but not on all fronts!

I've been a little quiet on here recently. I guess I've been finding the chemotherapy treatment pretty knackering, really, and this has spread into my ability to attend to my blogging duties!

I've had 3 (of 6) chemo treatments so far, with the next one due tomorrow (Wednesday May 19th), and I think I've fallen into a familiar pattern. For a couple of days post-chemo, I'm okay, but then the weariness starts to hit, and I'm pretty shattered for about a week or maybe a little more. Then my energy levels start to creep back up, just in time for my next fortnightly dose of chemo ... and the cycle starts all over again.

After session 2, I was really floored and didn't run at all during that fortnight, but since my last treatment, I've managed 3 runs, getting around 3 miles in each time, which I've been really pleased with. If I can keep that up, at least when all this is over, I won't be starting back into my running totally from scratch.

And I really do want to get back running again properly when this is all over. I went along to watch the Chester Half Marathon on Sunday - which I should have been taking part in - and just felt that I wanted to be a part of all this once again ... roll on July/August, when treatment should be complete and hopefully, I'll feel normal again and my fitness can get back to where it was just 6 weeks ago.

And just for the record, as I await session 4, I'm pleased to report that I'm still hanging on to my hair! So thank you once again to all you folks out there who have contributed to my "bet on my hair loss" fund-raising effort, which has raised £850 or so to date, helping bring the 365challenge total to over £30K raised for Cancer Research UK, and I hope that those of you who bet my hair would be gone by now aren't going to feel too short-changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment