Sunday 20 June 2010

Chemotherapy: DONE!


On Wednesday, June 16th, I completed the mini-marathon that is Chemotherapy treatment, with my 6th and final session of ABVD at the Countess of Chester Oncology Suite. I have to say a huge thank you to all of the girls over there - I'm sure they'll appreciate the term (honest, I KNOW they will) - for their wonderful care and support across these past three months of treatment. Their sense of humour coupled with a truly practical approach to the business of cancer made a massive difference to me in how I came through this - and I hope I gave them a few laughs along the way too :D.

Also on Wednesday, I had a meeting with my oncologist, Dr Tueger, who, after a physical examination, declared that he could find no trace of any lumps, adding "we're all good here!" 

Gulp! 

Okay, so I know there is still a PET scan needed to confirm this, and a course of radiotherapy to "mop up any lingering nasties", but it looks like we're close to being able to declare a winner in this battle - and it ain't gonna be Hodgkin's lymphoma. Hah, take THAT!

There is a palpable feeling of relief in our house, as you might imagine, though coupled with a lingering "it's still not finally confirmed" caution, but it really is looking very good from where I'm sitting :D






Flame of Hope Awards

And what a way to celebrate finishing chemotherapy! On Friday June 18th, Mrs 365er and I hopped on a train down to "that there London" to the Russell Hotel for the Cancer Research UK "Flame of Hope" Awards. These are nominated for by the CRUK staff and acknowledge the efforts of the many amazing fund-raisers out there doing their thing to support this wonderful charity (thank you, David, for thinking I deserved to be in the mix). 


And wouldn't you know it, your very own 365challenge has only gone and won a Special Commendation in the "Fundraising through Sport" category (!), so I am looking forward to having  the pleasure of collecting my award from none other than the Chairman of CRUK, David Newbigging, OBE. 

Have to say that I'm just a bit pleased at this - and I hope it helps push the 365challenge forward in the eyes of CRUK as I continue to try to negotiate a higher profile for it in their fundraising activities in general.

Now then, when do we get to go to the palace ... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment